WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SMOKE CATNIP? - EXPERT'S ANSWER
What is catnip?
As the name suggests, catnip is a plant known for its cat-attracting properties. The reactions generated are due to a chemical compound - nepalacatlone - which is released when the plant's leaves or its stem are being rubbed. Nepalacatlone has similar properties to Valerian, one of the most popular plants used in herbal calming pills.
In traditional medicine, catnip was used as a treatment against stomach cramps, indigestion, fever, hives, even certain nervous conditions. This might explain why catnip is nowadays popular among smokers.
In humans, smoking catnip is considered to have generated effects similar to those of cannabis or LSD, but milder, definitely not as strong as cocaine. Below, we'll explain what are the pro's and con's of smoking the "cat's kryptonite".
The perks of smoking Catnip
- a general warming feeling throughout the body,
- euphoria (mild, not extreme)
- total relaxation and calmness
- headache relief
- improving sleep
- calming the nerves
The downside of smoking catnip
- nausea (some people even claimed that they vomited after smoking catnip)
- headaches (usually happens if the dose you smoke is very high)
- dizziness, such as when you're alcohol intoxicated.
- difficulty of forming coherent thoughts
- an unpleasant aftertaste
- upset stomach
Catnip, as a plant, seems to have great effects on the body, helping you relax quicker. However, although it can be smoked, we believe that the side effects might be too unpleasant to be overlooked. If you want to enjoy the calming effects of catnip, it might be best if you consumed it as tea instead.
Before using catnip in any form, please keep in mind that you should:
- Not use it if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Keep it away from infants and children.
- Always use the right hygienic tools you can see them here
- Not use catnip before driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Stop using it if the effects given are unpleasant.
- Always speak to a doctor to ensure that it is safe for you to consume it.